Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Back From the Folk School

What a wonderful week at the John C. Campbell Folk School in North Carolina. Mostly Sunny and warm. Good and Plentiful food. Good times had by all!! Old and new friends, sage advice, and new skills (techniques). I want to take another class this year and a class for sure next year.

"Best Ever" was our class theme and this was the "best ever" class, "best ever" students (Joanna, Rita, me), and course...the best ever teacher Leslie Molen. I will highly recommend any of her classes anytime. In the past I've made a Santos Cage Doll and a marionette with Leslie--so this was my third class. We made a Chinese inspired needle sculpted doll-- Ling Li-Hua or Chun Woo. The basic doll is the same--it was the costuming that's different. I made a "hybrid" of sorts with the costuming--I made Ling Li's coat, shirt and pants and I made Chun Woo's hat and shoes--it all came out very cute. The new things I learned were needle sculpting the face, adding hand painted small wooden bead mounted on a toothpick into a socket, adding an overlay that covered the stitches and the eyeballs and then cutting away over the eyes to make the eye lids. Now I'm trying to figure out how I can use what I've learned with my bears!!

My plan is to sign up for a "Muppet" style puppet class in September.

 

 

-Me and Leslie


Next up for me and the bears will be the completion of my gallery piece for TBAI. Also my next show will be the DC Big Flea at the Dulles Expo Center in Chantilly, VA July 20-21 2013. Check us out!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment